The cartridge body used for the 2M Bronze and 2M Black is manufactured from a newly-developed Noryl plastic/glass combination, a revolutionary material which ensures high rigidity while eliminating unwanted resonances. The 2M Bronze and 2M Black use a special upgraded engine, featuring split pole pins with a silver-plated copper wire.
The 2M technology
2M cartridges are designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. Ortofon’s philosophy is to play the record sound as accurately as possible, without colouring the sound in any way. Both the 2M Bronze and 2M Black have diamonds which are cut and polished to the highest standards of the industry.
The 2M design has also been optimized for easy mounting on to a tonearm; the weight and size of all 2M models is well-suited to fit the most common turntables on today’s market.
The 2M Bronze and 2M Black also have interchangeable stylus units, and replacement styli are readily available in the UK.
About the unique 2M design
2M was developed by Ortofon in conjunction with “Møller Jensen Design” from Copenhagen, Denmark – the same designer who collaborated on the award-winning MC Jubilee cartridge, and the coveted Kontrapunkt series.
The inspiration for designing the 2M was related to the facets of the diamond – elegantly concentrating its contours against the grooves on the record surface.
The name 2M was selected among several ideas. Ortofon wanted a modern name which would be easy to pronounce around the world, and to remember. Therefore an alpha-numerical name was chosen…
2M means MM, which is simply the common abbreviation for Moving Magnet.
The 2M range has been structured in the same way as the popular Rondo and Cadenza Moving Coil series, with ascending quality as you move from Red – Blue – Bronze – Black. The spectacular 2m Black has become the flagship of 2M, and all Ortofon moving magnet cartridges.
2M was also the last product designed by Ortofon’s former chief engineer, Per Windfield. He developed the 2M series over the final 2 years of his 30 year tenure with Ortofon.
- Output Voltage (at 1kHz, 5cm/sec):
- Channel Balance at 1kHz: 1dB
- Channel Separation at 1kHz: 26dB
- Channel Separation at 15kHz: 1-5dB
- Frequency Range (at -3dB): 20 Hz – 31 kHz
- Frequency Response 20Hz – 20kHz:
- +2 / -0dB
- Tracking Ability at 315Hz:
- Typically 80μm
- Compliance, Dynamic, Lateral: 22μm / mN
- Stylus Type: Nude Shibata
- Stylus Tip Radius r / R: 6 / 50μm
- Tracking Force Range: 1.4 – 1.7g (14 – 17mN)
- Recommended Tracking Force: 1.5g (15mN)
- Tracking Angle: 20º
- Internal Impedance / DC Resistance:
- Internal Inductance:
- Recommended Load Resistance:
- Recommended Load Capacitance: 150 – 300pF
- Cartridge Colour Body / Stylus:
- Black / Black
- Cartridge Weight: 7.2g
- Replacement Stylus Unit: Stylus 2M Black